Within this past 2012-2013 season the Cochrane Generals have established a mentorship program with Initiation Hockey. Each Monday a couple of Gens join the Initiation practices to skate and help out.
If you are unfamiliar with Initiation Hockey here is some info provided by Gord Edward, the Initiation Director:
The Initiation program is geared towards making the player's first contact with hockey a safe and positive experience. It's a structured, learn-to-play hockey program designed to introduce beginners to the game's basic skills. It enables participants to become contributing members of a team effort, develop self-confidence, and experience a sense of personal achievement. These goals are achieved in an atmosphere of fun and fair play.
The goals of the program are the following:
• to have fun while playing hockey and engaging in physical activity
• to learn the basic skills required to play the game of hockey
• to develop an understanding of basic teamwork through participation in a variety of activities and adapted game situations
• to create and refine basic motor patterns
• to be introduced to the concepts of cooperation and fair play
• developing basic hockey skills
• puck handling
Goals for the Initiation age category are:
• introduction of basic skills
• reviewing of basic skills
• refining of basic skills